Premedical foundation courses in Romania
Premedical foundation courses or preparatory course for medical university programs in Romania are organised by different universities and for different medical programs. Therefore international student can follow:
- Premedical foundation courses for integrated university medical programmes: Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, veterinary medicine;
- Premedical foundation courses for bachelor or master programmes in Romania for program available only in Romanian language: Physiotherapy, Nursing, Midwifery, etc.
- Romanian language course for medical specialisation in Romania;
Why foundation course in Romania?
Medical foundation course in Romania is designed for one year and includes first semester Romania language and second semester for basic subject’s relatives to further university studies: Biology, chemistry, Physics and Maths for medicine and dentistry; Botany, chemistry, Physics and Maths for Pharmacy; Biology and Physics for Physiotherapy, etc. This allow students to be well prepared for medical university studies.
- Most of medical university programs are available only in Romanian language and those which are available in international langue (English or French), places are very limited compared to programs in Romanian;
- Even if it is possible to study medicine in English or French in Romania, the Romanian langue remain important for all clinical studies (communication with patients in clinics and university hospitals). Those students who with good knowledge of Romanian langue will found it more familiar, easy and have good experience which will help them in the future. How can you become artist if you do not practice? How can you practice medicine if you cannot communicate with patients?
- It hase been noticed that Romania high school (baccalaureate) level is higher than high school level in most countries. Medical Foundation course allow students to be at the same level before the start medical university program.
- EU/EEA and Suisse students can compete for Romanian scholarships for university studies on the same condition as Romanian students. They can also be admitted as self-financing students in English, French or Romania language. Therefore, foundation course gives more options to prospective medical students.
- International medical students with medical foundation courses in Romania perform well during their university studies in English, French or Romanian language and integrate himself in academic society and everyday live easily. They have more time to dedicate to pure medical studies during both preclinical and clinical study stages.
- Integrated medical studies (medicine, dentistry and Pharmacy) are long university programs (5 to 6 years). It is better to be able to communicate in Romanian language in order to make every day live easy.
- Medical specialisations (Residency or PhD) are available only in Romanian language. Students with foundation, after undergraduate studies, found more natural to progress into specialisation. Those from EU/EEA can also compete for Residency placement on the same condition as Romanian Students.
- Medical foundation course is cheap: 2000 to 2700 €/year for international students and approx. 800€ for EU/EEA and Suisse students.
Unfounded Ideas on Premedical foundation course
I speak English, French and German. Why losing one year more learning Romanian language?
Foundation course is not only for Romanian language, but also for basic subjects for university medical program and immersion in Romanian society and culture in which you will stay at least 6 years. Most of that, one language more, it is one open door on the world.
I want to study medicine in English because I would like to go back and work in my country.
Studying medicine in Romanian language do not prevent you to work as a Doctor in other countries than Romania. Most of that, after foundation course, you have more choice: medicine in Romanian, English or French language. Thousands of Romanian medical university alumni are working back home today and Romanian Doctors are well appreciated in all over the
world. All of them have done their university studies in Romanian language.
I prefer Studying medicine in English in china, Philippines, Caribbean islands, Ukraine, Russia, etc.
OK. In some countries it is even cheaper than in Romania. But the important is not only getting diploma, but also getting valid in most countries in the world. Before you decide, think about the validity of the qualification you will get.
Medical qualifications obtained in one of EU/EEA and Switzerland countries are valid in all EU/EEA and Switzerland community and recognised all over the world.